Tuesday, October 20, 2009

the good with the bad


Well I’m a couple of days late, but last week we took AV for her one month check up. It was nothing but good news from her doctor. She is now up to 10 lbs 8 oz and grew ¾”, which makes her now 21 ¾”. But the biggest surprise was that her head measured 14 ¾” – 2 ¼” larger than at birth! I almost fell over, but apparently she’s on a normal growth rate. In other one month milestones, she has almost found her hands and is able to bring them to her mouth. She is also doing well with her neck control and can lift it up off her mat for a little bit at a time. Every day is something new and exciting!


On the flip side of the coin, my wife’s family is dealing with an upsetting death (not that any death is ever pleasant, but this is extremely hard). My mother-in- laws best friend, who was more of a sister, passed away yesterday rather suddenly. To just say she was her best friend, is an understatement. They’ve known each other since school. Their families did everything together; vacations, holidays, random middle of the week dinners. It’s hard to explain in words, but they had traditions between their families – traditions which they quickly and openly welcomed me and J (I think I’ve mentioned her before. If not she’s my daughter) into. They were special times that only their families shared – times that will be extremely hard to deal with over the next couple of months. How could this happen to a young, loving wife and mother? Someone that battled breast cancer at a very young age and beat it. Someone that always brought laughter to everyone. These are the same questions that I asked myself 13 years ago when my mother passed away from cancer. Spending the day with their family yesterday and seeing the faces on her husband and her kids, brought back so many memories of the days that followed my mother’s death and the look of complete loss. Not only of a woman they loved, but someone that held their lives together. We’ll miss you Aunt Jan!

No comments:

Post a Comment