Monday, November 30, 2009

Kickin' it Old Skool

First off, I hope that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving with family, friends and good times!


My brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece (who are 15 and 13) came down from RI to have Thanksgiving at my dad’s house on LI and stayed through the weekend. After we picked J up on Saturday morning we headed over to my dad’s so she could spend some time with her cousins that she doesn’t get to see that often. We hung around most of the morning and then J and my nephew started playing the PSP2 that he brought with him. They played for a while and then V told my nephew to hook up the original Nintendo that I still kept at my dad’s house so “she could school him in Duck Hunt”. I’ll never forget it…it was Christmas 1988, when I got that Nintendo system. That was the year it came with the Power Pad and World Class Track Meet! Now you give any kid a remote control with 20 buttons and they’ll be able to figure out what each one does within 10 minutes. Give them a mat that has 12 buttons and lies on the floor and they have no idea what to do with it. So after a few rounds of Duck Hunt, V and I decided to show them how it worked. Well forget about it! This turned into hours of competition among us all – my dad even got into it. The kids thought it was one of the greatest games they’ve ever played! It just goes to show you that even with systems that have graphics like you’re watching a movie, that 21 year old, 8 bit, “antique” still has it! Take that Wii Fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment